Montour and Northumberland Counties
[27 Pa.B. 3288]
Pursuant to the provisions of 71 P. S. Section 2002(b), the Secretary of Transportation makes the following written finding:
The Department of Transportation plans to replace the existing Danville-Riverside Bridge, which is located on S. R. 0054 in Montour and Northumberland Counties.
The existing Danville-Riverside Bridge carries S. R. 0054 over the North Branch of the Susquehanna River through the boroughs of Danville and Riverside. The project consists of the construction of a new bridge from the existing location in Riverside Borough, Northumberland County to a new location at Factory Street in Danville Borough, Montour County. This includes constructing an underpass, approximately one block in length, to allow Factory Street traffic approaching the new Danville-Riverside Bridge to cross below Market Street at a separated grade. Except for the existing stone abutments, the Danville-Riverside Bridge will be removed.
The existing Danville-Riverside Bridge is structurally deficient and functionally obsolete, does not allow for efficient movement of goods and services, is insufficient to relieve existing and future congestion, can not improve vehicular and pedestrian safety, and can not provide improved accessibility for social and emergency services in the area.
The project will require the acquisition of a residential parcel, Number 9 Factory Street, a contributing element to the National Register listed Danville Historic District. The effect of the project on the Danville Historic District will be mitigated by the following measures to minimize harm to the resource:
1. A Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation package will be prepared as a permanent record of Number 9 Factory Street's existence.
2. A deed restriction will be placed on the property at Number 109-111 Factory Street after the building has been demolished.
3. The existing stone river bridge abutments on both shores will be stabilized and allowed to remain in place.
4. Aesthetic treatments will be incorporated into the design and construction of the replacement Danville-Riverside Bridge, retaining walls, and the underpass cover.
5. A Urban Design Plan will be prepared to integrate the Danville-Riverside Bridge replacement project into the Danville-Riverside area while maintaining the character of the Danville Historic District.
I have considered the environmental, economic, social, and other effects of the proposed project as enumerated in Section 2002 of the Administrative Code, and have concluded that there is no feasible and prudent alternative to the project as designed, and all reasonable steps have been taken to minimize such effect.
No adverse environmental effect is likely to result from the replacement of this bridge.
BRADLEY L. MALLORY,
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 97-1098. Filed for public inspection July 3, 1997, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.