DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Opportunity for a Corridor--Design Public Hearing and Announcement of Availability of an Environmental Assessment/Draft Section 4(f) Evaluation
[29 Pa.B. 5152]
All interested persons are advised that the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, as amended, and in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, has prepared preliminary plans, an Environmental Assessment/Draft Section 4(f) Evaluation and supporting technical files for the proposed safety and capacity improvements to US Route 30. The project is referred to as SR 0030, Section 007.
The following is a description of those alternatives studied in detail.
US Route 30 Widening/Upgrade Alternative (Preferred Alternative)
The US Route 30 Widening/Upgrade Alternative would substantially improve traffic safety and capacity by widening the existing two, three and four-lane facility to accommodate five traffic lanes; two in each direction and a center turning lane. This widening would include both curbed section areas and full shoulder areas. Three shifts in roadway alignment were also developed to avoid sensitive resources. The first shift was developed to avoid right-of-way acquisition from a property listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Defibaugh Tavern property. The second alignment shift of approximately 200 feet to the south of the existing roadway, in the area known locally as Hospital Hill, was developed to reduce the grades to meet current design criteria and avoid severe impacts to Memorial Hospital of Bedford County and the Pennsylvania State Police barracks. The third alignment shift of approximately 30 feet to the south of the existing roadway would minimize project impacts to the Hartley Farm (Mount Dallas), a property considered eligible for the National Register.
In addition to the alignment shifts, three design options would also be constructed as part of the preferred alternative. These options include the rehabilitation of the Narrows Bridge, which is listed on the National Register, and will carry westbound traffic and the construction of a new parallel bridge just to the south of the existing bridge to carry eastbound traffic; the realignment of the existing SR 326 (Egolf Road)/US Route 30 intersection and the relocation of Township Road T-477 (Riverview Road).
The proposed improvements extend from the eastern end of the Bedford Bypass to the western end of the Everett Bypass, a distance of approximately 4.7 miles and are located in Bedford and Snake Spring Townships, Bedford County. This alternative unavoidably impacts 0.22 acres of wetlands and adversely effects four (4) National Register eligible historic sites.
The no-build alternative would consist of no improvements to existing conditions with the exception of routine maintenance.
The preliminary plans, Environmental Assessment/Draft Section 4(f) Evaluation and supporting technical files are available for review and comment for a 45 day period at the PA Department of Transportation District Office located at 1620 North Juniata Street, Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania 16648, Attention Thomas Prestash, P.E., Project Manager (Telephone: 814-696-7174) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
This Environmental Assessment/Draft Section 4(f) Evaluation is also available for review at the following locations.
* Federal Highway Administration's Pennsylvania Division Office at 228 Walnut Street, Room 508, Harrisburg, PA between the hours of 8:00 a.m.--4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday;
* Bedford County Planning Commission, 203 South Juliana Street, Bedford, PA between the hours of 8:30 a.m.--4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday;
* Bedford Township Building, RD 1, Bedford, PA between the hours of 8:30 a.m.--4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday;
* Snake Spring Township Building, RD 1, Everett, PA between the hours of 9:30 a.m.--3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday;
* Bedford County Library, 240 South Wood Street, Bedford, PA between the hours of 9:00 a.m.--8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9:00 a.m.--5:00 p.m. on Saturday;
* Everett Free Library, 137 East Main Street, Everett, PA between the hours of 1:00--8:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00--5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 10:00 a.m.--8:00 p.m. on Friday and 10:00 a.m.--3:00 p.m. on Saturday;
* Bedford Historical Society, 242 East John Street, Bedford, PA between the hours of 9:00 a.m.--4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9:00 a.m.--12:00 noon on Saturday;
* UPMC Bedford Hospital Library, 10455 Lincoln Highway, Everett, PA. Interested persons may call (814) 623-6161 to arrange a date and time to review the document;
* Citizen's Advisory Committee, 1427 Lutzville Road, Everett, PA. Interested persons may call (814) 623-2766 to arrange a date and time to review the document.
Also, any interested party may request that a public hearing be held to present testimony concerning the specified location and major design features of the pro-posed highway improvement, including the social, economic, environmental and other effects of alternate designs and location.
Any request to hold a public hearing and all comments on the above documents must be delivered in writing to Mr. Earl L. Neiderhiser, P.E., District Engineer, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, District 9-0 Office, 1620 North Juniata Street, Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania 16648 or Mr. Ronald W. Carmichael, Division Administrator, Federal Highway Administration, P. O. Box 1086, Harrisburg, PA 17101-1720 on or before November 8, 1999.
In the event a request for a public hearing is received, a further notice of the date, time and place of the hearing will be published.
BRADLEY L. MALLORY,
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 99-1685. Filed for public inspection October 1, 1999, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.