PART I. GOVERNOR'S OFFICE
[4 PA. CODE CH. 5]
[EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 1998-3 AMENDED]
[31 Pa.B. 5360]
Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission
August 16, 2001
Whereas, under Article I, Section 27 of The Pennsylvania Constitution, the people have the right to the preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and aesthetic value of the environment; and
Whereas, Pennsylvania is blessed with a scenic beauty, a rich cultural heritage, and an environment of waterways, forests, farms, natural areas and open space lands; and
Whereas, a network of greenways across the state will help to preserve environmental values and protect these natural, cultural, historic and scenic assets for future generations; and
Whereas, a network of greenways across the State will enhance outdoor recreation opportunities; provide wildlife corridors and habitat; provide intermodal transportation options; stimulate our tourism industry; contribute to environmentally sensitive growth strategies; and improve the quality of life and livability of our neighborhoods, communities and regions; and
Whereas, developing a network of greenways requires the formulation of partnerships which include government agencies, nonprofit organizations, business interests and property owners; and
Whereas, the concept of creating greenway connections through public and private partnerships was addressed at the Governor's Conference on Greenways and Trails in April 1997 and creation of a Greenways Commission was a high priority of conference attendees; and
Whereas, The Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission, created in 1998, has prepared an action plan that includes recommendations designed to provide a coordinated and strategic approach to the development of greenways in the Commonwealth; and
Whereas, the Commission's recommendation has been endorsed by the Secretaries of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the Department of Transportation (PennDOT); and
Whereas, the Commission's plan recommends DCNR as the lead agency responsible for the development of Pennsylvania's greenways program.
Now, Therefore, I, Thomas J. Ridge, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws of the Commonwealth, do hereby recognize Pennsylvania Greenways: An Action Plan for Creating Connections and do hereby restructure the organization and responsibility of The Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission to read as set forth in Annex A.
Fiscal Note: GOV 01-5. No fiscal impact; (8) recommends adoption.
TITLE 4. ADMINISTRATION
PART I. GOVERNOR'S OFFICE
CHAPTER 5. COUNCILS AND COMMITTEE
Subchapter QQQ. PENNSYLVANIA GREENWAYS PARTNERSHIP COMMISSION
5.981. Purpose and effective date. 5.982. Composition and appointments. 5.983. Functions and scope. 5.984. State agency coordination. 5.985. Meetings and communication.
§ 5.981. Purpose and effective date.
(a) The purpose of the Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission is to aid the Secretary of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources in the promotion of greenways development throughout this Commonwealth.
(b) This subchapter is amended effective Spetember 1, 2001.
§ 5.982. Composition and appointments.
(a) The Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission (Commission) consists of individuals who are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Secretary of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). The membership of the Commission reflects a cross section of greenway interests and the geographic diversity of this Commonwealth.
(1) The Commission is comprised of one representative from each of the following organizations:
(i) The Pennsylvania Environmental Council.
(ii) The Pennsylvania Organization for Watersheds and Rivers.
(iii) The Pennsylvania Rails-to-Trails Conservancy.
(iv) The Pennsylvania Recreation and Parks Society.
(v) The Pennsylvania Planning Association.
(vi) The Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry.
(vii) The Pennsylvania Land Trust Association.
(viii) The Pennsylvania Heritage Parks Association.
(ix) The Pennsylvania Recreational Trails Advisory Board.
(2) The remaining members of the Commission represent a diversity of greenway interests.
(b) The Secretary of DCNR will select a chair or cochairs.
(c) DCNR is the primary State agency for the planning and coordination of a Pennsylvania greenways program and will provide administrative support to the Commission.
(d) Each Commission member may designate an alternate to represent him on the Commission.
§ 5.983. Functions and scope.
The Commission will advise and assist the Secretary of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources in carrying out the following responsibilities:
(1) Implementing an action plan for advancing a Pennsylvania greenways partnership program in the 21st century.
(2) Pursuing the creation of partnership opportunities to plan, implement, maintain and fund a greenways network for this Commonwealth.
(3) Maintaining an inventory, catalog and map of the network of greenways and trails in this Commonwealth.
(4) Exploring creative financial and technical assistance programs and strategies to benefit the creation and sustainability of State and local greenway efforts.
(5) Researching and identifying ''best practices'' of existing greenways efforts within this Commonwealth and other states.
(6) Creating a Statewide clearinghouse system for collecting, maintaining and disseminating materials on greenways and trails legal, design and mapping information.
(7) Developing a public education, outreach and coalition building strategy (including local government) for greenways and trails.
(8) Developing strategies for incorporating greenways opportunities into Federal, State and local planning efforts dealing with issues such as land use/smart growth, open space preservation, watershed protection, natural areas protection, heritage conservation, recreation, tourism development, intermodal transportation systems and brownfields development.
(9) Coordinating existing State agency initiatives dealing with the Public Utility Commission's disposition of crossing structures, including related funding programs.
§ 5.984. State agency coordination.
All State agencies shall cooperate with and provide assistance as needed to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) in performing its mission and functions related to greenways development. The following State agencies shall designate a liaison who will serve as the coordinator of greenway-related activities and primary contact for DCNR:
(1) The Department of Aging.
(2) The Department of Agriculture.
(3) The Department of Community and Economic Development.
(4) The Department of Education.
(5) The Department of Environmental Protection.
(6) The Fish and Boat Commission.
(7) The Game Commission.
(8) The Department of Health.
(9) The Historical and Museum Commission.
(10) The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.
(11) The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
(12) The Department of Transportation.
§ 5.985. Meetings and communication.
The Pennsylvania Greenways Partnership Commission (Commission) members will meet at least once a year during the life of the Commission.
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 01-1717. Filed for public inspection September 21, 2001, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.