DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Eligible Partnerships, Postsecondary Grant Application, Guidelines for Assistance for Regular and Special Education, Mathematics, Science, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, Art/Music and Foreign Languages Teachers
[40 Pa.B. 6796]
[Saturday, November 27, 2010]
The Department of Education (Department) has established grant application guidelines to provide direction to eligible partnerships for submitting applications targeting assistance for regular and/or special education teachers to become highly qualified in the core academic subjects of mathematics, science, English/language arts, social studies, art/music and/or foreign languages as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act. An eligible partnership that receives a grant under these guidelines shall limit its programs to those that provide an innovative approach for current regular and/or special education classroom teachers teaching in a high need local educational agency (LEA) to demonstrate content mastery to become highly qualified in the core academic subjects of mathematics, science, English/language arts, social studies, art/music, and/or foreign languages. Approximately $1.7 million is available on a competitive basis under this grant application for up to three funding cycles beginning in spring 2011 and ending September 30, 2014. A maximum per participant cost is established by the application guidelines for each of the possible ways for assisting teachers to become highly qualified.
1. Eligibility Requirements
An eligible partnership shall include at a minimum:
1. An institution of higher education (IHE) in this Commonwealth which is approved by the Department to prepare teachers.
2. An IHE in this Commonwealth that has arts and sciences faculty.
3. At least one high-need LEA included on the ''List of LEAs That Meet the 'High Need' Definition In No Child Left Behind.'' A high-need LEA is one of the following:
• Serves not fewer than 10,000 children from families with incomes below the poverty line.
• Not less than 20% of the children served by the agency are from families with incomes below the poverty line.
• For which there is a high percentage of teachers not teaching in the academic subjects or grade levels that the teachers were trained to teach.
• For which there is a high percentage of teachers with emergency, provisional, or temporary certification or licensing (Section 2102(3)).
Other partners may include:
1. Other LEAs.
2. An elementary or secondary school.
3. Other educational service agency or nonprofit cultural or educational organization.
4. Teacher organizations.
5. Principal organizations.
Each partnership must designate an IHE as the fiscal agent to execute a contract or memorandum of understanding on behalf of the partnership with the Commonwealth.
2. Application Deadline
Grant applications are due by 5 p.m., Monday, January 24, 2011.
3. How to Apply
Copies of the Eligible Partnerships Postsecondary Grant Application guidelines and forms are available on the Department's web site at http://www.pde.state.pa.us or from the Issuing Office, which is the sole point of contact for the guidelines: Division of Teacher Quality, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, Department of Education, 333 Market Street, Third Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333, (717) 772-3566, TDD (717) 783-8445.
4. Questions Concerning the Grant Application
Questions concerning the grant application should be addressed to Jamal Wakeem, Division of Teacher Quality, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, Department of Education, 333 Market Street, Third Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333, (717) 525-5559, TDD (717) 783-8445.
THOMAS E. GLUCK,
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 10-2275. Filed for public inspection November 24, 2010, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.