§ 183.13. Street lists.
(a) Not later than 15 days before an election, a commission shall prepare and add information from the SURE system for an election district a list of the names and addresses of its registrants as of that date who reside in the district. The list will reflect voter activity reported to the commission within 30 days preceding an election. The commission shall prepare updates to the list on at least a biweekly basis. The list shall be arranged in the following manner as requested:
(1) By streets and house numbers.
(2) Alphabetically by last name of the registrant.
(3) In a manner whereby the location of the registrants residence can be identified.
(b) A commission shall retain two copies of the street list, enter the data on the SURE system and send a copy of the list to the Department, in accordance with section 1403(b) of the act (relating to street lists).
(c) Street lists will be available for public inspection and copying at the Department and the commissions during business hours, subject to reasonable safeguards, including but not limited to:
(1) A commission and the Department will maintain a form prescribed by the Department that includes the name, address of record and telephone number of an individual who inspects or obtains a copy of the list, as well as verification that a commission or Department official confirmed the identification of the individual requesting access to the street list or its duplication. This form will not be available for public inspection or copying.
(2) Before inspecting the street list or obtaining names of registrants or other information from the list, an individual shall provide identification to the public official having custody of the street list and shall state in writing on a form prescribed by the Department that any information obtained from the list will not be used for purposes unrelated to elections, political activities or law enforcement, as required by section 1404(b)(3) and (c)(2) of the act (relating to public information lists).
(3) No individual inspecting the street list may tamper with, alter, destroy or remove it from the premises of the commission or the Department.
(4) A commission and the Department will require that a commissioner, or an authorized commission or Department employee is able to observe the record or document at all times while it is being inspected and safeguard it against alteration, destruction or removal.
(5) The following items may not be made available for public inspection or copying:
(i) The signature of a registrant in an electronic format, as provided in section 1403(a) of the act.
(ii) The identity of a voter registration agency through which a qualified registrant is registered, as provided by 42 U.S.C.A. § 1973gg-6(a)(6), known as the National Voter Registration Act.
(iii) The registrants unique identifier, drivers license number and the last four digits of a registrants Social Security number.
(6) During SURE system conversion periods or emergency conditions, access to the list may be postponed temporarily.
(d) The Department and a commission will distribute the street list upon request free of charge to the following entities:
(1) Officials concerned with the conduct of elections.
(2) Political parties and political bodies.
(e) As provided at section 1403(d) of the act, the Department or a commission may distribute the street list to organized bodies of citizens for a reasonable fee, determined by the office providing the copies, which shall include the cost of reproduction and postage, when the list will be mailed to an organized body of citizens.
(f) The Department and a commission will supply, as provided in subsections (d) and (e), the street list in a paper copy or in an electronic format.
(g) The street list may not be published on the Internet.
The provisions of this § 183.13 adopted December 27, 2002, effective January 27, 2003, 32 Pa.B. 6340.
This section cited in 4 Pa. Code § 183.11 (relating to records).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.