§ 21.30. Special program and recertification standards for domiciliary care homes with four or more clients.
(a) For domiciliary care homes with four or more clients, the following special building recertification standards apply. Domiciliary care homes with four or more clients shall meet the home recertification standards in this section in lieu of the standards in § 21.27 (relating to domiciliary care home certification and recertification standards).
(1) Domiciliary care homes with four to eight clients shall meet the standards for small group homes in 34 Pa. Code Chapter 56 (relating to division C-3 small group habitation) and shall provide verification of inspection and approval by the Department of Labor and Industry under 34 Pa. Code Chapter 49 (relating to administrationbuildings) before recertification is granted by the AAA.
(2) Domiciliary care homes with nine or more clients shall meet the standards for large facilities in 34 Pa. Code Chapter 55 (relating to division C-2 hotels, motels, apartment buildings, etc.) and shall provide verification of inspection and approval by the Department of Labor and Industry under 34 Pa. Code Chapter 49 before recertification is granted by the AAA.
(3) Homes located in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton shall provide verification of inspection and approval in accordance with the Occupancy and Fire Safety Codes of the appropriate city.
(4) Prior to recertification by the AAA, the home shall provide verification that remodeling, reconstruction or substantial alteration to the domiciliary care home has been done in accordance with plans approved by the Department of Labor and Industry under 34 Pa. Code Chapter 49.
(5) There shall be at least one operational bathroom, having a toilet, sink and tub or shower, for every eight clients.
(6) When the home consists of a cluster of living units rather than a single living unit, the clustered living units shall be in physical proximity, and each unit shall conform to the applicable sections of this chapter.
(7) No domiciliary care home may have more than 13 clients residing within it.
(b) In addition to other program requirements provided in this chapter, the following special program requirements apply to domiciliary care homes with four or more clients:
(1) Mobility. Clients residing in domiciliary care homes having four or more clients shall be independently mobile or semimobile. The semimobile clients shall be able to get out of bed without assistance from another person.
(i) During the waking hours established by the home, at least one provider or staff person shall be present and available on the premises when one or more clients are present in the home. If one or more of the clients are not independently mobile, at least one provider or staff person shall be present and available in each building or cluster unit where clients are present.
(ii) During hours when clients are sleeping, one provider or staff person shall be present and available in each building or cluster unit housing clients who are not independently mobile. For buildings or cluster units with only independently mobile clients, one provider or staff person who is awake and circulates to each building or unit hourly or who is on the premises and available to clients through an intercom system may be substituted for a provider or staff person in each building or cluster unit.
(iii) The AAA may require an increase in the number of staff persons as it deems necessary.
This section cited in 6 Pa. Code § 21.27 (relating to domiciliary care home certification and recertification standards); 6 Pa. Code § 21.29 (relating to redetermination of provider eligibility and recertification of domiciliary care homes); and 6 Pa. Code § 21.52 (relating to AAA service responsibilities).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.