§ 405.1. Scope.
(a) Application of chapter. This chapter constitutes the Uniform Construction Code technical requirements for elevators and other lifting devices. This chapter applies to the construction, alteration, addition, repair, movement, equipment, removal, maintenance, use and change in use of every elevator and lifting device after April 9, 2004.
(b) Exceptions. The Uniform Construction Code does not apply to:
(1) New elevators and lifting devices or renovations to existing elevators and lifting devices for which a permit application was made to the Department before April 9, 2004.
(2) New elevators and lifting devices or renovations to existing elevators and lifting devices for which a contract for design or construction was signed before April 9, 2004.
(3) Elevators and lifting devices solely in residential buildings used by the occupants of a dwelling unit except where the lifting device is used or accessible by the occupants of more than 1 dwelling unit.
(c) Prior permits and construction.
(1) A permit issued under valid regulations before April 9, 2004, remains valid and the construction of the elevator or lifting device may be completed in accordance with the approved permit if construction commences by April 9, 2006.
(2) If construction of the elevator or lifting device has not commenced within the time period allowed under paragraph (1), the permit becomes rescinded. The permit holder shall acquire a new permit under section 304(c)(2) of the act (35 P. S. § 7210.304(c)(2)) before construction.
(3) An elevator or lifting device that was issued a certificate of operation by the Department before April 9, 2004, may remain in use if the owner maintains the elevator or lifting device in accordance with a previous Department permit or approval, the owner complied with the regulations in effect when the certificate of operation was issued and the owner complies with the applicable requirements of § § 405.7405.9 (relating to periodic inspections; periodic testing; and periodic dynamic testing).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.