§ 405.38. Operating controls.
Operating controls shall be located so that the operator may view the platform and load throughout their entire travel. Operating controls are governed by the following:
(1) Operating controls shall be continuous pressure switches.
(2) Detachable pendent switches that plug into the platform or at an area other than the platform may be installed as operating controls if the operator can view the platform and load throughout their entire travel.
(3) Emergency stop switches that comply with all of the following:
(i) Manually operated emergency stop switches shall be located adjacent to the operating controls, driving machines, pit entrances, machine controller, orchestra areas and recessed storage areas located within the shaftway.
(ii) Emergency stop switches shall be manually reset and not depend upon springs for proper operation.
(iii) Emergency stop switches shall be red. No other switch may be red.
(iv) An emergency stop switch shall be installed on an organ console elevator in a location accessible to the organist.
(4) Operating controls shall be labeled by function.
(5) A key is required for use of the operating controls other than emergency stop switches.
(6) A stage, orchestra or organ console elevator that intersects with other stage, orchestra, organ console elevators, storage areas or orchestra areas below the stage level shall be equipped with a constant pressure pushbutton switch which meets the following requirements:
(i) The additional switch shall be located to permit an unobstructed view of the intersecting area.
(ii) The switch shall be held in the closed or run position to complete the operating circuit and permit the operators controls to function.
(iii) Release of the switch will stop the elevator immediately.
(iv) An additional switch is not required for elevators that are completely enclosed in an operating shaftway.
This section cited in 34 Pa. Code § 405.31 (relating to applicability).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.