§ 405.40. Pit and pit access.
(a) The pit shall be equipped with stone or masonry piers or columns or buffers capable of absorbing the impact of a fully loaded platform while maintaining a minimum refuge space of 2 feet throughout the pit area.
(b) A pit access door has to meet all of the following requirements:
(1) A pit access door shall be a minimum of 30 inches by 30 inches in size, self-closing and self-locking.
(2) Have a switch to prevent the operation of the elevator while the pit access door is open.
(3) An emergency stop switch shall be installed on the strike side of each pit access door.
(4) A switch for operating the pit lights shall be installed on the strike side of each pit access door.
(5) Contain a sign located on the exterior strike side of all pit access doors with the notation, CAUTIONElevator Pit Access DoorAuthorized Personnel Only. The sign lettering is to be a minimum of 1/4 inch in width and 1 1/2 inches in height. The color of the lettering shall contrast with the color of the access door.
(6) An owner or owners agent shall have sole possession of keys to each access door.
(c) A shaftway shall have a pit that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Pit depth shall be at least 2 feet from the lowest point of the underside of the platform framing to the pit floor or highest floor projection when the platform is at its lowest limit of travel. Toe guards, guide shoes or rollers attached to the platform and buffers or bumpers may extend into this space.
(2) Clearance between the lowest point of an apron, guide shoe or rollers on the underside of the platform and any portion of the pit floor shall be at least 6 inches when the platform has reached its lowest limit of travel.
(3) Pit floor area directly beneath any apron area of the platform shall be marked with paint of at least two contrasting colors to a minimum width of 12 inches past the inside edge of the apron, guide shoe or rollers
(d) A door shall be installed to provide access to a pit when the motor or controller for a stage, orchestra or organ console elevator is located in the pit by one of the following means:
(1) A door below the bottom of the platform when the platform is at its lowest limit of travel.
(2) A door that opens outward in the platform.
(3) The pit shall be equipped with a ladder for gaining access to the pit through this access door.
(4) The ladder and access door shall be arranged to secure the ladder to the platform during access to the pit.
(5) The ladder shall extend from the platform to the pit floor regardless of the location of the platform in the shaftway.
This section cited in 34 Pa. Code § 405.31 (relating to applicability).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.