§ 21.825. Sources of continuing education.
(a) The following providers of continuing education and credentialing organizations have currently met the standards for course approval for continuing education and, provided that these providers and credentialing organizations comply with § § 21.826 and 21.827 (relating to requirements for continuing education courses; and continuing education course approval), they are preapproved to offer creditable continuing education, subject to reevaluation as set forth in subsection (b):
(1) Board-approved CNS educational programs and CNS educational programs approved by other state boards of nursing or that hold current accreditation issued by a National nursing accreditation organization.
(2) National and international nursing organizations and their state and local affiliates.
(3) National and international medical and osteopathic organizations and their state and local affiliates.
(4) National pharmaceutical organizations and their state and local affiliates.
(5) National nursing specialty organizations and programs accredited by National nursing accrediting associations.
(6) Continuing education programs approved by other state boards of nursing for advanced practice nurses or CNSs.
(b) The approval given to the providers and credentialing organizations in subsection (a) is subject to reevaluation. A rescission of provider or credentialing organization approval will be made in accordance with 1 Pa. Code Part II (relating to General Rules of Administrative Practice and Procedure) or by amendment of this section.
(c) CNSs may obtain credit for continuing education offered by providers not indicated in subsection (a) if the provider obtains Board approval of the continuing education prior to its implementation, or the CNS obtains Board approval of the continuing education prior to attending the continuing education. A continuing education provider or CNS may obtain Board approval of continuing education by submitting an application for approval, the fee in § 21.805 (relating to fees) and the supporting documentation in § 21.827(b) at least 90 days prior to the course.
(d) CNSs may obtain credit for correspondence courses, taped study courses, and other independent or online study courses if the course is approved under subsection (c).
(e) Up to 4 hours may be approved under subsection (c) for service as a teacher in a nursing education program, preceptor providing direct clinical supervision in a specialty area, lecturer or speaker and for publication in a refereed journal or other scholarly publication relating to the CNSs area of practice.
(f) An hour for the purposes of CNS continuing education is 50 minutes.
(g) The Board will apply § 21.132(b) (relating to continuing education hours) to determine the number of hours awarded for academic coursework.
This section cited in 49 Pa. Code § 21.805 (relating to fees); 49 Pa. Code § 21.827 (relating to continuing education course approval); and 49 Pa. Code § 21.828 (relating to CNS responsibilities).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.