§ 6100.462. Medication administration.
(a) A provider whose staff persons or others are qualified to administer medications as specified in subsection (b) may provide medication administration for an individual who is unable to self-administer the individuals prescribed medication.
(b) A prescription medication that is not self-administered shall be administered by one of the following:
(1) A licensed physician, licensed dentist, licensed physicians assistant, registered nurse, certified registered nurse practitioner, licensed practical nurse, licensed paramedic or other health care professional who is licensed, certified or registered by the Department of State to administer medications.
(2) A person who has completed the medication administration course requirements as specified in § 6100.468 (relating to medication administration training) for the medication administration of the following:
(i) Oral medications.
(ii) Topical medications.
(iii) Eye, nose and ear drop medications.
(iv) Insulin injections.
(v) Epinephrine injections for insect bites or other allergies.
(vi) Medications, injections, procedures and treatments as permitted by applicable statutes and regulations.
(c) Medication administration includes the following activities, based on the needs of the individual:
(1) Identify the correct individual.
(2) Remove the medication from the original container.
(3) Prepare the medication as ordered by the prescriber.
(4) Place the medication in a medication cup or other appropriate container, or into the individuals hand, mouth or other route as ordered by the prescriber.
(5) If indicated by the prescribers order, measure vital signs and administer medications according to the prescribers order.
(6) Injection of insulin and injection of epinephrine in accordance with this chapter.
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 6100.468 (relating to medication administration training); 55 Pa. Code § 6100.469 (relating to exceptions); 55 Pa. Code § 6100.802 (relating to support coordination, targeted support management and base-funding support coordination); 55 Pa. Code § 6100.803 (relating to organized health care delivery system); and 55 Pa. Code § 6100.804 (relating to base-funding).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.