RULES AND REGULATIONS
[ 58 PA. CODE CH. 141 ]
Hunting and Trapping; Big Game
[46 Pa.B. 2674]
[Saturday, May 28, 2016]
To effectively manage the wildlife resources of this Commonwealth, the Game Commission (Commission), at its April 5, 2016, meeting, amended § 141.41 (relating to general) to prohibit the possession of an expired, revoked, suspended or invalid hunting license or big game harvest tag while engaged in hunting or trapping activities.
The final-form rulemaking will not have an adverse impact on the wildlife resources of this Commonwealth.
The authority for the final-form rulemaking is 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to Game and Wildlife Code) (code).
Notice of proposed rulemaking was published at 46 Pa.B. 1552 (March 26, 2016).
1. Purpose and Authority
Each year the Commission investigates numerous big game violations involving improperly marked animals. A concerning portion of these violations involve a hunter's placement of a prior year's expired harvest tag on the big game animal rather than the current year's harvest tag. The Commission has determined that some of these violations are purposeful and intended to give the hunter the appearance of eligibility to harvest an additional animal with their unused current tag. However, the Commission also recognizes that other hunters are merely engaged in the bad habit of carrying prior years' licenses and harvest tags and are mistaking the similarly colored harvest tags for the then current year's harvest tags during the stress induced by a successful harvest. Therefore, in an effort to reduce the number of either purposeful or mistaken improperly marked big game violations from ever occurring, the Commission amends § 141.41 to prohibit the possession of an expired, revoked, suspended or invalid hunting license or big game harvest tag while engaged in hunting or trapping activities.
Section 2102(a) of the code (relating to regulations) provides that ''[t]he commission shall promulgate such regulations as it deems necessary and appropriate concerning game or wildlife and hunting or furtaking in this Commonwealth, including regulations relating to the protection, preservation and management of game or wildlife and game or wildlife habitat, permitting or prohibiting hunting or furtaking, the ways, manner, methods and means of hunting or furtaking, and the health and safety of persons who hunt or take wildlife or may be in the vicinity of persons who hunt or take game or wildlife in this Commonwealth.'' The amendments to § 141.41 are adopted under this authority.
2. Regulatory Requirements
The final-form rulemaking amends § 141.41 to prohibit the possession of an expired, revoked, suspended or invalid hunting license or big game harvest tag while engaged in hunting or trapping activities.
3. Persons Affected
Persons wishing to hunt or trap game or wildlife within this Commonwealth may be affected by the final-form rulemaking.
4. Comment and Response Summary
There was one official comment received in opposition to the final-form rulemaking.
5. Cost and Paperwork Requirements
The final-form rulemaking should not result in additional cost or paperwork.
6. Effective Date
The final-form rulemaking will be effective upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin and will remain in effect until changed by the Commission.
7. Contact Person
For further information regarding the final-form rulemaking, contact Thomas P. Grohol, Director, Bureau of Wildlife Protection, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797, (717) 783-6526.
The Commission finds that:
(1) Public notice of intention to adopt the administrative amendments adopted by this order has been given under sections 201 and 202 of the act of July 31, 1968 (P.L. 769, No. 240) (45 P.S. §§ 1201 and 1202) and the regulations thereunder, 1 Pa. Code §§ 7.1 and 7.2.
(2) The adoption of the amendments of the Commission in the manner provided in this order is necessary and appropriate for the administration and enforcement of the authorizing statute.
The Commission, acting under the authorizing statute, orders that:
(a) The regulations of the Commission, 58 Pa. Code Chapter 141, are amended by amending § 141.41 to read as set forth in Annex A.
(b) The Executive Director of the Commission shall certify this order and Annex A and deposit them with the Legislative Reference Bureau as required by law.
(c) This order shall become effective upon final-form publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
R. MATTHEW HOUGH,
Fiscal Note: Fiscal Note 48-393 remains valid for the final adoption of the subject regulation.
TITLE 58. RECREATION
PART III. GAME COMMISSION
CHAPTER 141. HUNTING AND TRAPPING
Subchapter C. BIG GAME
§ 141.41. General.
It is unlawful to:
(1) Fail, within 10 days of the kill, to complete the report card supplied with the hunting license for reporting big game killed and mail the report card to the Commission in Harrisburg or by any other method designated by the Director.
(2) Receive a DMAP permit without reporting in the manner prescribed on the permit.
(3) Harvest more than one deer at a time before lawfully tagging a deer previously harvested when multiple harvests of deer per day are authorized, except as otherwise provided in § 141.1 (relating to special regulations areas).
(4) Possess an expired, fulfilled, revoked, suspended or invalid big game harvest tag or hunting license while engaged in hunting or trapping activities.
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 16-902. Filed for public inspection May 27, 2016, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.