§ 21.24. Shelters.
(a) Dogs shall be provided access to shelter which protects them against inclement weather, preserves their body heat and keeps them dry. Housing facilities for dogs shall be constructed to provide for the health and comfort of the animals.
(b) Shelter shall be provided for dogs kept outdoors. Sufficient clean bedding material or other means of protection from the weather shall be provided.
(c) If dog houses with tethers are used as primary enclosures for dogs kept outdoors, the tethers used shall be placed or attached so that they cannot become entangled with other objects or come into physical contact with other dogs in the housing facility, and to allow the dog to roam to the full range of the tether. The tether shall be of a type commonly used for the size dog involved and shall be attached to the dog by means of a well-fitted collar that will not cause trauma or injury to the dog. The tether shall be at least three times the length of the dog as measured from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail and allow the dog convenient access to the dog house and food or water container.
(d) A dog may be sheltered in a primary enclosure having metal strand flooring provided the following conditions are met:
(1) The metal strand flooring is coated with a vinyl type coating.
(2) The coated metal strand flooring shall be kept in good repair.
(3) The coated metal strand flooring shall be made of mesh construction that does not allow the dogs feet to pass through any opening in the floor and does not otherwise cause injury to the dog.
(4) The coated metal strand flooring shall be constructed of sufficient diameter (gauge) to provide a completely rigid floor area sufficient to support the weight of dogs housed in the enclosure so that the metal strand floor does not bend or sag from the weight of the dogs.
(5) The dogs shall be provided with a draft free area that protects the dogs from inclement weather and is large enough to hold all the occupants of the primary enclosure at the same time comfortably.
(e) Coated metal strand flooring shall be installed by June 29, 2001. Coated metal strand flooring shall be installed prior to the removal of a solid resting surface. If a solid resting surface is provided, the solid resting surface shall be constructed of material that is impervious to water or moisture and shall be kept in a sanitary condition in accordance with § 21.29 (relating to sanitation).
(f) A dog may not be housed on a temporary or permanent basis in a drum or barrel dog house, regard-less of the material of which the drum or barrel is constructed.
The provisions of this § 21.24 amended January 12, 1996, effective April 12, 1996, 26 Pa.B. 161; amended March 30, 2001, effective March 31, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 1682. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (209437).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.