§ 40.42. Evaluation for approval as a junior college, college or university.
(a) An evaluation committee of qualified individuals will be selected by the Department. The committee will consist of a representative of the Department and other representation as is appropriate to the programs of the applicant. The applicant has the right to reject, without cause, one person from the selected committee. If the applicant wishes to reject more than one person, the applicant shall show cause why the person should be removed from the committee.
(b) The evaluation committees review will include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The mission, philosophy and objectives of the applicant.
(2) The educational programs, student advisement procedures, student services, record system and the status of extracurricular activities.
(3) The potential and projected enrollment.
(4) The sources and adequacy of the financial support.
(5) The provision that has been made for the necessary administrative, instructional and maintenance personnel.
(6) The proposed or existing salary schedule, or range, and the qualifications of the staff.
(7) The accommodations and facilities of the institution, including the adequacy of the library.
(8) The plans for growth, expansion or reduction of educational programs, facilities and financial resources.
(9) The scope of the applicants community or regional involvement.
(10) The admission and graduation requirements.
(11) The composition of the board of trustees, together with its record of actions.
(12) The need for the institution within the local area and the Commonwealth.
(13) The applicants provision for evaluating the achievement of stated objectives.
(14) The proposed catalog and other announcements for the applicant under § 31.32 (relating to catalogue and announcements).
(15) The articles of incorporation and by-laws of the applicant.
(16) The extent to which the applicant conforms to the standards or recommendations for academic practices of the regional, professional or specialized accrediting body to which the institution would be required to apply for institutional or program approval under § 31.52 (relating to accreditation).
(c) The committee will evaluate documentation submitted by the applicant, conduct an onsite visit and submit a written report, with recommendations, to the Secretary. This report will be submitted to the applicant by the Department for response. The report of the committee and the response by the applicant are the basis on which the Secretary makes a decision on the request of the applicant.
The provisions of this § 40.42 amended under sections 1317 and 1319 of The Administrative Code of 1929 (71 P. S. § § 367 and 369); sections 5 and 9 of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Act (24 P. S. § § 2510-105 and 2510-109); and sections 2002-A and 2421 of the Public School Code of 1949 (24 P. S. § § 20-2002-A and 24-2421).
The provisions of this § 40.42 adopted April 30, 1982, effective May 1, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 1389; amended May 16, 1986, effective May 17, 1986, 16 Pa.B. 1724. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (69417) to (69418).
This section cited in 22 Pa. Code § 40.44 (relating to evaluation for approval of a professional school by an applicant not previously authorized to grant degrees in Pennsylvania).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.