TANK HANDLING AND INSPECTION ACTIVITIES
§ 245.21. Tank handling and inspection requirements.
(a) Tank handling activities shall be conducted by a certified installer except in the case of modification to an aboveground nonmetallic storage tank, which may be modified by the tank manufacturer. Storage tank facility owners and operators shall use persons who are Department-certified to conduct tank handling activities except as noted in this subsection. The certified installer shall perform the tank handling activity or provide direct onsite supervision and control of the activity.
(b) Tank handling activities conducted on all aboveground field constructed storage tank systems and tank handling activities conducted on all aboveground storage tank systems having a capacity greater than 21,000 gallons shall be inspected by a certified inspector, except in the case of a minor modification or removal from service.
(c) The operation of storage tank facilities shall be inspected by a certified inspector. The frequency of inspection shall be based on:
(1) The age of the storage tank systems located at the storage tank facility.
(2) The type of regulated substances contained in the storage tank systems located at the storage tank facility.
(3) The distance of the storage tank facility from public and private surface water and groundwater supplies.
(4) The total capacity of the storage tank systems located at the storage tank facility.
(5) The geologic conditions at the storage tank facility.
(6) Whether the storage tank facility, owner or operator has violated the act or the regulations promulgated thereunder.
(7) Whether the storage tank facility has storage tank systems which are periodically taken out of service.
(8) Whether there is suspected contamination at the storage tank facility.
(9) The level of quality control maintained at the storage tank facility.
(d) Storage tank facilities shall also be inspected upon written notification from the Department or as required by permit.
The provisions of this § 245.21 amended September 27, 1996, effective September 28, 1996, 26 Pa.B. 4735; amended November 9, 2007, effective November 10, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 5979; amended December 21, 2018, effective December 22, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 7875. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (331001) to (331002).
This section cited in 25 Pa. Code § 245.41 (relating to tank registration requirements); 25 Pa. Code § 245.222 (relating to application requirements); and 25 Pa. Code § 245.451 (relating to temporary removal from service (out-of-service)).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.