§ 49.3. Submission of plans.
(a) Submission and approval. Before a building to which Chapters 4959 apply (except for C-3 occupancies covered under Chapter 56) is erected, adapted, remodeled or altered, detailed architectural plans, wall sections and elevations for new construction remodeling or alteration work and line drawings to scale for all portions of the existing buildings showing means of egress shall be submitted to and approved by the Bureau of Occupational and Industrial Safety, Buildings Section, Department of Labor and Industry, as required under section 8 of the act (35 P. S. § 1228). Drawings shall be submitted in triplicate. In cases where emergency lighting systems, fire alarm systems, or fire extinguishing apparatus is required by this chapter, these requirements shall be completely shown on or with the drawings submitted before approval of the building is obtained.
(b) C-3 occupancies. C-3 occupancies covered under Chapter 56 shall have the following information on file in the Department:
(1) Building name and address.
(2) Owners name and address.
(3) Number of residents.
(4) A building sketch will be made by the Departments representative which indicates exits, smoke detectors and room locations for each floor.
(5) An inspection report indicating that the building complies with Chapter 56 for C-3 occupancies.
(c) Plan requirements. Plans shall be reproduced on paper prints a minimum of 15" x 24" , and drawn to a scale of not less than 1/8 inch to the foot unless the size of the building is such that it is impossible to contain the entire building on a 42-inch sheet size, in which case drawings may be accepted at a scale 1/16 inch to the foot. They shall show floor plans of all floors, all outside elevations, and location plans (site plan) of all streets or alleys abutting and distances from adjacent or adjoining buildings. Specifications shall also be furnished when requested. Buildings located in a new development shall have their location distinctly shown by lot number or letter on a plot so that they may readily be found by the Department.
(d) Accelerated approvals.
(1) The Department may approve the application and issue plans approval for construction of part of a building, including foundations, before complete plans and specifications for the entire building have been submitted and approved, provided that adequate information and detailed plans or statements have been submitted complying with this chapter. The holder of such plans approval shall proceed with the building operation at his own risk and without assurance that a plans approval for construction of the entire building will thereafter be issued.
(2) The Application for Accelerated Project Approval of Plans shall be prepared by the design professional subsequent to his completion of substantive design and shall contain a written technical and engineering description of the project, together with site plans, grading plans, foundation plans, architectural and structural plans in their condition existing at the time of the application. The application shall also contain the statement that the architect or engineer has been authorized by the owner to make application in this form and that the work performed under the Accelerated Project Approval shall comply with this chapter.
(3) The Department may issue an accelerated project approval of plans for stage construction of alterations or additions to existing buildings which alterations or additions are undertaken for the purpose of upgrading the safety conditions in conformity with this chapter without requiring total compliance at the time and when the applicant has filed with the buildings section a time schedule for compliance with this chapter.
This section cited in 28 Pa. Code § 501.81 (relating to safety from fire); 34 Pa. Code § 50.85 (relating to approval of plans); and 34 Pa. Code § 60.3 (relating to submission of plans).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.