§ 19.19. Standards of licensure for retail or public auction.
(a) Auction activities.
(1) Every public or retail auction shall have a business identity separate from other businesses owned or operated by the public or retail auction.
(2) A public or retail auction may not conduct auction activities other than from its established place of business. A retail or public auction may auction only those vehicles that are physically located at the established place of business of the public or retail auction. A retail or public auction may accept bids by telephone, Internet or other remote means.
(3) An auction license does not permit a public or retail auction to broker, other than the auctioning of vehicles.
(b) Established place of business.
(1) The established place of business for a public or retail auction must include a permanent enclosed building for use as an auction facility within this Commonwealth. This paragraph does not require that all auctioning of vehicles be conducted within the permanent enclosed building.
(2) The established place of business must include a private office, located within the permanent enclosed building, separate from display areas and auctioning areas, that has space for the storage of books and records.
(3) The established place of business must have a single business line telephone, located within the permanent enclosed building, that is used for the public or retail auction. The telephone number must be listed under the public or retail auctions licensed name.
(4) The established place of business must be in full compliance with applicable building codes, zoning ordinances and other land-use ordinances.
(5) A public or retail auction shall possess a certificate of occupancy issued by a building code official in accordance with the Pennsylvania Construction Code Act (35 P. S. § § 7210.1017210.1103).
(6) A public or retail auction shall post a sign indicating the days and hours that the public may attend for either inspection or auctioning of vehicles.
(7) A public or retail auction shall exhibit a sign, either permanently affixed to the building or erected outdoors in the display area, that shows the licensed name of the auction and that is visible to the public.
(8) A public or retail auction shall have a display area where potential buyers are permitted and invited in the regular course of business to inspect or test drive the vehicles that are being offered for sale by the auction. The display area must be at or adjacent to the auctions established place of business. The display area may be indoors, outdoors or partly indoors and partly outdoors. The outdoor portions of a display area must be properly graded and surfaced with concrete, asphalt, slag, brick, stone, aggregate, gravel, cinder or similar material.
The provisions of this § 19.19 issued under sections 2 and 4(9) of the Board of Vehicles Act (63 P. S. § § 818.2 and 818.4(9)).
The provisions of this § 19.19 adopted August 27, 2004, effective August 28, 2004, 34 Pa.B. 4693.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.