§ 21.284a. Prescribing and dispensing drugs.
(a) Professional samples. A CRNP who holds current prescriptive authority approval may request, receive and sign for professional samples and may dispense professional samples to patients.
(1) Prescriptions must bear the name, title and Pennsylvania CRNP certification number of the CRNP.
(2) When appropriate, the CRNPs National Provider Identifier (NPI) number must appear on the prescription.
(3) Prescriptions may not be presigned.
(c) Documentation requirements. When prescribing or dispensing a drug, the CRNP shall document in the patients medical record the name, amount and dosage of the drug, instructions for taking the drug, the number of refills, the date and the CRNPs name.
(d) Packaging. Prescription drugs shall be dispensed in accordance with Federal regulations pertaining to packaging. (See 16 CFR Part 1700 (relating to poison prevention packaging)).
(e) Labeling of dispensed drugs.
(1) The label on a dispensed drug container must include the name of the drug, using abbreviations if necessary; the quantity; and the name of the manufacturer if the drug is a generic drug. If a CRNP specifically indicates that the name of the drug may not appear on the label, the recognized National drug code number shall be placed on the label if the number is available for the product. The label shall also bear the name and address of the CRNP, the date dispensed, the name of the patient and the directions for use of the drug by the patient.
(2) Drugs that, at the time of their dispensing, have full potency for less than 1 year, as determined by the expiration date placed on the original label by the manufacturer, may only be dispensed with a label that indicates the expiration date. The label must include the statement, Do not use after manufacturers expiration date, or similar wording.
(f) Compliance with regulations relating to prescribing, administering, dispensing, packaging and labeling of drugs. A CRNP shall comply with this section, § 21.284b (relating to prescribing, administering and dispensing controlled substances) and regulations of the Department of Health in 28 Pa. Code § § 25.5125.58, 25.6125.63, 25.72, 25.81 and 25.9125.95.
The provisions of this § 21.284a adopted December 11, effective December 12, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 6994.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.