§ 1021.8. Certain training subjects.
(Editors Note: This regulation has been recognized as invalid as applied to partial-rights taxicabs. Germantown Cab Company v. Philadelphia Parking Authority, 155 A.3d 669 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2017).)
(a) Continued training subjects. The Authority will continually monitor issues related to taxicab drivers, including safety, wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) taxicab service and customer service, and maintain a current list of taxicab driver training subjects on its web site at www.philapark.org/tld.
(b) Basic training issues. Taxicab driver training will be developed to address all areas of the act, this part and orders of the Authority. The dress code applicable to taxicab drivers applies to applicants during training whether conducted by the Authority or an approved third party. Training will address issues provided for in subsection (a), including the following subjects:
(1) Authority regulations governing taxicab drivers, including differences between the services medallion taxicabs and partial-rights taxicabs provide.
(2) Authority regulations governing taxicab certificate holders.
(3) Authority regulations governing equipment.
(4) Penalties for violation of Authority regulations.
(5) An overview of the administrative process related to violations.
(6) The identification and address of the Authority offices responsible for administering the act.
(7) Customer service issues, including the following:
(i) Personal appearance of drivers.
(ii) Driver courtesy and hygiene.
(iii) Assistance to elderly and people with disabilities.
(8) Driving and customer safety issues, including the following:
(i) Defensive driving techniques.
(ii) Emergency aid.
(iii) Vehicle and equipment inspections.
(iv) Crime prevention.
(v) Accident reporting procedures.
(9) Issues related to the geography of Philadelphia, including the following:
(i) Map reading.
(ii) Overview of major street and traffic patterns.
(iii) Identification and location of popular landmarks and locations.
(c) WAV taxicab driver training.
(1) In addition to training required under this section, WAV taxicab driver training will consist of a minimum of 6 hours of in-class instruction and field training necessary to address current and evolving issues related to WAV taxicab service, including sensitivity training, safe and proper use of applicable equipment, and regulations regarding WAV taxicab service.
(2) WAV taxicab driver training will consist of training in all aspects of WAV taxicab service, including the operation of a WAV taxicab and the entry, exit and securing of a passenger in a wheelchair.
(3) A WAV taxicab driver must attend a minimum of 4 hours of continuing WAV taxicab service training every 2 years.
(d) Testing. The applicant will be scheduled for testing conducted by the Authority at TLD Headquarters under § 1021.9 (relating to taxicab driver test) upon completion of training conducted by the Authority or upon the applicants submission of a certificate of completion to the Authority from an approved third-party training program.
The provisions of this § 1021.8 temporarily amended under 53 Pa.C.S. § 57B02.
The provisions of this § 1021.8 amended August 29, 2014, effective August 30, 2014, 44 Pa.B. 5662; temporarily amended May 5, 2017, effective February 25, 2017, expire upon promulgation of final-form regulations or on November 5, 2018, whichever is later, as set forth in 53 Pa.C.S. § 57B02(b), 47 Pa.B. 2558. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (373128) to (373130).
This section cited in 52 Pa. Code § 1011.2 (relating to definitions); 52 Pa. Code § 1021.7 (relating to taxicab driver training); and 52 Pa. Code § 1021.9 (relating to taxicab driver test).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.