§ 5.501. Content and form of briefs.
(a) Briefs must contain the following:
(1) A concise statement or counter-statement of the case.
(2) Reference to the pages of the record or exhibits where the evidence relied upon by the filing party appears.
(3) An argument preceded by a summary. The party with the burden of proof shall, in its main or initial brief, completely address, to the extent possible, every issue raised by the relief sought and the evidence adduced at hearing.
(4) A conclusion with requested relief.
(b) Briefs must also contain the following, if and as directed by the presiding officer:
(1) A statement of the questions involved.
(2) Proposed findings of fact with references to transcript pages or exhibits where evidence appears, together with proposed conclusions of law.
(3) Proposed ordering paragraphs specifically identifying the relief sought.
(c) Exhibits should not be reproduced in the brief, but may, if desired, be reproduced in an appendix to the brief.
(d) Briefs of more than 20 pages must contain on their front leaves a table of contents with page references and a table of citations, which may be prepared without pagination.
(e) Briefs must be as concise as possible and, except for briefs in rate cases, be limited to 60 pages in length, unless some other limitation is imposed or allowed by the presiding officer. The length of briefs in rate cases will be controlled by the presiding officer.
(f) Subsections (a)(e) supersede 1 Pa. Code § 35.192 (relating to content and form of briefs).
The provisions of this § 5.501 amended under the Public Utility Code, 66 Pa.C.S. § § 501, 504506, 1301 and 1501.
The provisions of this § 5.501 adopted October 12, 1984, effective January 1, 1985, 14 Pa.B. 3819; amended April 28, 2006, effective April 29, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 2097. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (225715) to (225716).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.