§ 59.72. Natural gas emergency planning.
(a) By March 15, 2002, each NGDC shall file with the Commission a natural gas emergency plan reflecting its unique operational characteristics and design criteria. Each plan shall contain simplified and understandable rules and regulations so that all of the NGDCs customers and all NGSs licensed to provide services to their customers can have a responsive action plan in place to protect themselves and their property in the event of a crisis. NGDCs shall file revisions to their plans when and as appropriate, or as directed by the Commission.
(b) As part of their emergency planning, NGDCs shall attempt to make every reasonable effort to make contractual or informal arrangements with their transportation customers, sales customers and others to obtain supplies or, as an alternative, to implement usage reductions, so that resorting to firm service reductions under § 59.73 (relating to emergency action) can be avoided, or the severity of supply or capacity disruption can be mitigated. The purpose of these arrangements is to provide a means to minimize the potential of supply shortfalls that threaten public health and safety, and not to make up for inadequate performance by individual parties.
(c) Each natural gas emergency plan shall include provisions addressing:
(1) Emergency load shedding.
(2) Voluntary usage reductions, for example, reducing space or water heating temperatures to levels specified by the NGDC.
(3) Mandatory usage reductions for certain customers consistent with § 59.73(c).
(4) Issuance of periodic reports to the media concerning the existing natural gas emergency.
(5) Notice to affected customers and NGSs of the expected initiation of emergency actions under § 59.73.
(6) Customer and NGS delivery requirements that apply during the term of emergency action under § 59.73, regardless of customer-specific usage reductions that arise or may arise from end-use curtailments.
(7) A procedure for focusing emergency measures to confined geographic or operational portions, segments or zones of the NGDC system where a natural gas emergency exists.
(8) Procedures for establishing communications with electric system control area operators, if the NGDC provides gas service to electric generation stations.
(d) Each natural gas emergency plan shall specify the procedures the NGDC shall use to provide notices to affected customers, their NGSs and NGDCs. After the NGDC determines the appropriate response, the NGDC shall issue notices to affected customers, their NGSs and NGDCs as soon as reasonably possible. All notices shall be prepared consistent with the Commissions plain language policy. Notice to the public concerning usage reductions shall be designed to avoid confusion in geographical areas served by more than one NGDC.
The provisions of this § 59.72 issued under the Public Utility Code, 66 Pa.C.S. § § 501, 2203(15) and 2208.
The provisions of this § 59.72 adopted December 14, 2001, effective December 15, 2001, 31 Pa.B. 6800.
This section cited in 52 Pa. Code § 59.71 (relating to definitions); and 52 Pa. Code § 59.74 (relating to utility liability).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.