§ 609.034. Financial statements.
(a) If an issuer proposes to register its securities for sale under section 205 or 206 of the act (70 P.S. § § 1-205 and 1-206), and for which securities a registration statement has been filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission under section 5 of the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U.S.C.A. § 77e), the issuer shall:
(1) Comply with the financial statement requirements as set forth in the rules and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission (17 CFR 210.1-01210.12-29) (relating to form and content of and requirements for financial statements, Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Company Act of 1940, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975).
(2) Prepare the financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
(3) Present the financial statements in comparative form.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (d), an issuer shall file the financial statements listed in subsection (c) if one of the following conditions apply:
(1) The issuer proposes to register its securities for sale under section 206 of the act.
(2) The issuer proposes to sell its securities under the exemption contained in Regulation A promulgated under section 3(b) of the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U.S.C.A. § 77c(b)) and proposes to register the securities under section 205 of the act.
(3) The issuer proposes to sell its securities under the exemption contained in section 203(p) of the act (70 P.S. § 1-203(p)).
(4) The issuer is required to file proxy materials under section 203(o) of the act.
(c) If required under subsection (b), the issuer shall file the following financial statements, prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and presented in comparative form:
(1) A balance sheet of the issuer, dated within 120 days of the date of filing with the Department and comply with either of the following requirements if the balance sheet is not audited:
(i) The issuer shall also file an audited balance sheet as of the issuers last fiscal year.
(ii) The issuer shall also file an audited balance sheet as of the end of the issuers next preceding fiscal year if the issuers last fiscal year ended within 90 days of the date of filing.
(2) Statements of income, stockholders equity and cash flows for each of 2 fiscal years or less, if the issuer and its predecessors have been in existence for less than 2 years preceding the date of the latest balance sheet filed, and for the period, if any, between the close of the latest of the fiscal years and the date of the latest balance sheet filed.
(i) These statements shall be audited up to the date of the latest audited balance sheet filed.
(ii) If changes in stockholders equity accounts are set forth in a note to the financial statements, a separate statement of stockholders equity does not need to be filed.
(3) Consolidated balance sheets, statements of income, stockholders equity and cash flows complying with the audit requirements in paragraphs (1) and (2) must be filed for the issuer and its subsidiaries in accordance with this section.
(4) A balance sheet of the issuer before the reorganization, a column showing the changes to be effected in the reorganization, and a pro forma balance sheet after the reorganization if the issuer is about to undergo a reorganization which will effect substantial changes in its assets, liabilities or capital accounts.
(i) The issuer shall explain in a footnote the adjustments made.
(ii) If a reorganization has taken place at any time covered by the statements of income filed, the issuer shall explain in a footnote the effect of the reorganization.
(5) A description of the plan of succession, showing in columnar form, the balance sheets of the parties to the transaction, the changes effected or to be effected and the balance sheet of the issuer as a result of the transaction, and statements of income for each of the businesses for the periods covered by paragraph (2), to include a consolidating pro forma statement of income if the issuer has succeeded, or is about to succeed, to one or more businesses, by merger, consolidation or otherwise. This paragraph does not apply to the issuers succession to the business of any totally-held subsidiary or to the acquisition of subsidiaries not constituting, in the aggregate, a significant subsidiary.
(6) Financial statements for the business as would be required if it were an issuer if the issuer has acquired any business (or the securities of any person giving the issuer control over the person) after the date of its latest balance sheet filed under paragraph (1), or if the issuer proposes to acquire those types of business or securities.
(i) The issuer shall also file pro forma statements of income in columnar form.
(ii) The acquisition of securities which will extend the issuers control over another person is considered the acquisition of a business if the securities being registered under section 206 of the act are to be offered for the securities to be acquired, or if the purpose of the proxy statement is to effectuate the acquisition.
(iii) Financial statements do not need to be filed under this paragraph for any acquisition from a totally-held subsidiary.
(iv) Statements of businesses may be omitted if, considered in the aggregate as a single subsidiary, they would not constitute a significant subsidiary, except that the statements may not be omitted when the securities being registered under section 206 of the act are to be offered in exchange for the securities to be acquired, or if the purpose of the proxy statement is to effectuate the acquisition.
(7) The registration statement with summary statements for each of the 3 most recent fiscal years and for the period from the date of the end of the latest fiscal year to the date of the latest balance sheet filed if an issuer proposes to register its securities under section 206 of the act. The summary statements of income required in this paragraph are in addition to the financial statements required under paragraph (2).
(d) If an issuer proposes to register its equity securities for sale under section 206 of the act, which securities are exempt from registration under section 5 of the Securities Act of 1933 under an exemption contained in section 3(a)(11) of the Securities Act of 1933, or Regulation A or Rule 504 of Regulation D promulgated under section 3(b) of the Securities Act of 1933, the issuer shall file the financial statements required under subsection (c) except that the financial statements may be reviewed by an independent certified public accountant in accordance with the standards established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants or the Canadian equivalent if:
(1) The amount of the present offering does not exceed $1 million.
(2) The issuer previously has not sold securities through an offering involving the general solicitation of prospective investors by means of advertising, mass mailings, public meetings, cold call telephone solicitation or any other method directed toward the public.
(3) The issuer previously has not been required under Federal, State, provincial or territorial securities laws to provide audited financial statements in connection with any sale of its securities.
(4) The aggregate amount of all previous sales of securities by the issuer (exclusive of debt financing with banks and similar commercial lenders) does not exceed $1 million.
(e) The financial statements required under subsections (c) and (d) must be included in the prospectus or offering circular distributed to offerees in this Commonwealth.
(f) For purposes of this subsection, the Department used the corporate form of financial statement title, but because financial statement title terminology may differ for other types of accounting entities, including nonprofit organizations, those entities shall include the analogous financial statements.
(g) If consistent with the protection of investors, the Department may:
(1) Permit the omission of one or more of the financial statements required under this section or the filing in substitution of appropriate statements of comparable character.
(2) Require the filing of other financial statements in addition to, or in substitution for, the financial statements required under this section or when the financial statements are necessary for an adequate presentation of the financial condition of the issuer.
(h) Subsections (b)(2) and (c) do not apply when an issuer offers or sells a security in an offering exempt from registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission under Tier 2 of Regulation A adopted under the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U.S.C.A. § § 77a77aa) in good faith reliance on section 203(u) of the act.
The provisions of this § 609.034 issued under the Pennsylvania Securities Act of 1972 (70 P.S. § § 1-1011-704); amended under sections 202(g) and (i), 203(d), (i.1), (j) and (n)(t), 204(a), 205(b), 207(g), (j.1) and (n), 209(b), 211(a) and (b), 504(d), 513, 603(a), 606(d) and 609(a) of the Pennsylvania Securities Act of 1972 (70 P.S. § § 1-202(g) and (i), 1-203(d), (i.1), (j) and (n)(t), 1-204(a), 1-205(b), 1-207(g), (j.1) and (n), 1-209(b), 1-211(a) and (b), 1-504(d), 1-513, 1-603(a), 1-606(d) and 1-609(a)); section 202.C of the Department of Banking and Securities Code (71 P.S. § 733-202.C); and section 9(b) of the Takeover Disclosure Law (70 P.S. § 79(b)).
The provisions of this § 609.034 adopted April 25, 1975, effective April 26, 1975, 5 Pa.B. 980; amended October 1, 1982, effective October 2, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 3503; amended January 8, 1999, effective January 9, 1999, 29 Pa.B. 202; amended December 30, 1999, effective January 1, 2000, 30 Pa.B. 18; transferred and renumbered from 64 Pa. Code § 609.034, December 14, 2012, effective December 15, 2012, 42 Pa.B. 7533; amended January 12, 2018, effective January 13, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 389. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (364851) to (364853).
This section cited in 10 Pa. Code § 203.161 (relating to debt securities of nonprofit organizations); and 10 Pa. Code § 609.033 (relating to accountants).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.