§ 113.2. Purpose and intent.
(a) The basic purpose of the act, as set forth in section 103 of the act (32 P. S. § 679.103), and of this chapter, is to:
(1) Encourage planning and development in floodplains which are consistent with sound land use practices.
(2) Protect people and property in floodplains from the dangers and damage of floodwaters and from materials carried by the floodwaters.
(3) Prevent and eliminate urban and rural blight which results from the damages of flooding.
(4) Authorize a comprehensive and coordinated program of floodplain management, based upon the program, designed to preserve and restore the efficiency and carrying capacity of the streams and floodplains of the Commonwealth.
(5) Assist municipalities in qualifying for the program.
(6) Provide for and encourage local administration and management of floodplains.
(7) Minimize the expenditure of public and private funds for flood control projects and for relief, rescue and recovery efforts.
(b) This chapter is intended to set forth procedures and requirements to be followed by the State and local municipalities in carrying out the various duties and responsibilities assigned to each by the act so as to avoid unnecessary expenditures of time, effort and money, thereby making floodplain management activities undertaken within this Commonwealth as effective and beneficial as possible.
(c) The standards and requirements of the program and the act concerning floodplain management are minimal only. The act specifically states that it contains no provisions that limit the powers of a municipality from adopting more restrictive codes, ordinances and regulations concerning the management of its flood-prone areas.
(d) A good program of floodplain management involves more than simply meeting the minimum Federal and State requirements. The Department will be available to assist an interested municipality in developing a better management program.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.