§ 245.606. Variances.
When unique or peculiar circumstances make compliance with this subchapter technically impractical, infeasible or unsafe, the Department may, upon written application from the owner of a storage tank system subject to this subchapter, grant a variance from one or more specific provisions of this subchapter.
(1) A variance may only be granted if the storage tank system meets alternative technical standards that fully protect human health and the environment.
(2) A written application for a variance shall be submitted to the Department and must provide all of the following information:
(i) The facility name and identification number for which the variance is sought.
(ii) Specific sections of this subchapter from which the variance is sought.
(iii) The unique or peculiar conditions which make compliance with the sections identified under subparagraph (ii) technically impractical, infeasible or unsafe.
(iv) Evidence, including data, plans, specifications and test results, which supports an alternative design, practice, schedule or method as being at least as protective of human health and the environment as the requirement of the sections identified under subparagraph (ii).
(3) New technologies may be granted a variance. New technologies shall be reviewed and documented by a professional engineer and documentation provided to the Department with the variance request.
(4) The Department will not grant a variance which would result in regulatory controls less stringent than other applicable Federal or State regulations, such as 34 Pa. Code Chapter 14 (relating to flammable and combustible liquids; preliminary provisions) and 40 CFR Part 112 (relating to oil pollution prevention).
(5) When granting the variance, the Department may impose specific conditions necessary to assure that the variance will adequately protect the public health, safety or welfare and the environment.
(6) The Department will provide to the applicant a written notice of approval, approval with conditions or denial. Variance approvals will be published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
The provisions of this § 245.606 adopted December 21, 2018, effective December 22, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 7875.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.