§ 211.2. Medical director.
(c) In addition to the requirements of 42 CFR 483.70(h) (relating to administration), the medical director of a facility shall be licensed as a physician in this Commonwealth and shall complete at least four hours annually of continuing medical education (CME) pertinent to the field of medical direction or post-acute and long-term care medicine. The medical director may be designated for single or multiple facilities. There shall be a written agreement between the physician and the facility.
(d) The medical directors responsibilities shall include at least the following:
(3) Ensuring the appropriateness and quality of medical care and medically related care.
(4) Assisting in the development of educational programs for facility staff and other professionals.
(5) Working with the facilitys clinical team to provide surveillance and develop policies to prevent the potential infection of residents in accordance with the infection control requirements under 42 CFR 483.80 (relating to infection control).
(6) Cooperating with facility staff to establish policies for assuring that the rights of individuals are respected.
(7) Supporting and promoting person-directed care such as the formation of advance directives, end-of-life care, and provisions that enhance resident decision making, including choice regarding medical care options.
(8) Identifying performance expectations and facilitating feedback to physicians and other health care practitioners regarding their performance and practices.
(9) Discussing and intervening, as appropriate, with a health care practitioner regarding medical care that is inconsistent with current standards of care.
(10) Assisting in developing systems to monitor the performance of health care practitioners, including mechanisms for communicating and resolving issues related to medical care and ensuring that other licensed practitioners who may perform physician-delegated tasks act within their scope of practice.
The provisions of this § 211.2 amended under sections 102, 201(12), 601, 801.1 and 803 of the Health Care Facilities Act (35 P.S. § § 448.102, 448.201(12), 448.601, 448.801a and 448.803); and section 2102(a) and (g) of The Administrative Code of 1929 (71 P.S. § 532(a) and (g)).
The provisions of this § 211.2 adopted August 29, 1975, effective September 1, 1975, 5 Pa.B. 2233; amended January 31, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 514; amended July 23, 1999, effective July 24, 1999, 29 Pa.B. 3999; amended December 23, 2022, effective July 1, 2023, 52 Pa.B. 8098. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (397592).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.