§ 33.210. Storage of drugs.
Dentists who administer or dispense drugs shall comply with the following standards:
(1) Each drug storage area shall be maintained in a clean and orderly condition.
(i) The storage area shall be dry, well ventilated and well lighted. Provision shall be made for adequate dust, humidity and temperature controls to ensure drug stability.
(ii) The storage area shall contain only drugs and related supplies and equipment which are necessary for the administration and dispensing of drugs to the dentists own patients.
(iii) Drugs in the storage area shall be accurately labeled. Until a drug is administered or dispensed to a dental patient, it shall be kept in the manufacturers original container showing the manufacturers lot number and the expiration date.
(iv) Drugs in the storage area shall be free from adulteration. Appropriate procedures shall be established to minimize the hazards of cross contamination.
(v) Outdated or deteriorated drugs shall be identified as such and shall be segregated in the storage area pending their return to the manufacturer or their appropriate disposal. The dentist shall maintain records reflecting the final disposition of these products.
(2) Controlled substances shall be stored in a substantially constructed, locked container such as a cabinet or safe. Access to the locked container where controlled substances are kept in order to clean, replenish supplies or perform other necessary functions shall be allowed only when a dentist is present and supervising.
(3) The dentist shall provide for the safe, secure and sanitary disposal of drug-containing refuse.
(4) This section prescribes minimum standards for the storage of drugs in dental offices. It does not relieve a dentist from complying with more stringent standards that may be imposed by another regulation or by statute.
(5) A dentists failure to comply with this section will be considered unprofessional conduct and will subject the noncomplying dentist to disciplinary action as authorized in section 4.1(a)(8) of the act (63 P. S. § 123.1(a)(8)).
The provisions of this § 33.210 adopted June 23, 1995, effective June 24, 1995, 25 Pa.B. 2492.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.