§ 1245.54. Noncompensable services and items.
Payment will not be made for the following services and items:
(1) Ambulance transportation to a physicians office or group practice.
(2) Ambulance transportation for a medical service which is not covered under the MA Program, except for nonhospital drug and alcohol detoxification or rehabilitation facility services when a recipient presents to a hospital for inpatient drug and alcohol treatment and the hospital has determined that the required services are not medically necessary in an inpatient facility.
(3) Ambulance transportation to a clinic, rural health clinic, hospital, skilled nursing facility or intermediate care facility not enrolled in the MA Program, except in an emergency situation. An emergency situation is when an item or service is required to sustain the life of a person or is critical to the health of a person.
(4) Ambulance transportation of a deceased person to a morgue or funeral parlor.
(5) Ambulance transportation from one medical facility to another, unless it is for the purpose of obtaining necessary medical care which is unavailable at the facility in which the recipient is a patient and meets the requirements in § 1245.52 (relating to payment conditions).
(6) Ambulance transportation from one long term care facility to another, unless it is for the purpose of changing the patients level of care or if the patient is transferred from a facility because its provider agreement has been terminated and the requirements in § 1245.52 are met. Payment is not made if the ambulance is owned by the nursing facility.
(7) Ambulance transportation out-of-State, unless the nearest appropriate medical facility is located out-of-State.
(8) Ambulance transportation that is available from another insurance or health program of public agency.
The provisions of this § 1245.54 amended under sections 201(1) and 443.1(1) of the Public Welfare Code (62 P. S. § § 201(1) and 443.1(1)).
The provisions of this § 1245.54 adopted October 31, 1980, effective November 1, 1980, 10 Pa.B. 4257; amended November 24, 1995, effective November 25, 1995, and apply retroactively to November 1, 1995, 25 Pa.B. 5241. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (177253).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.