§ 3280.133. Child medication and special diets.
The operator shall make reasonable accommodation in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws to facilitate administration of medication or a special diet as prescribed by a physician, physicians assistant or CRNP as a treatment related to the childs special needs. Facility persons are not required to administer medication or special diets which are requested or required by a parent, a physician, a physicians assistant or a CRNP but are not treatment related to the childs special needs. When medication or special diets are administered, the following requirements apply:
(1) A prescription or nonprescription medication may be accepted only in an original container. The medication must remain in the container in which it was received.
(2) A staff person shall administer a prescription medication only if written instructions are provided from the individual who prescribed the medication. Instructions for administration contained on a prescription label are acceptable.
(3) The label of a medication container must identify the name of the medication and the name of the child for whom the medication is intended. Medication shall be administered to only the child whose name appears on the container.
(4) Medication shall be stored in a locked area of the facility or in an area that is out of the reach of children.
(5) Medication shall be stored in accordance with the manufacturers or health professionals instructions on the original label.
(6) A parent shall provide written consent for administration.
(7) An operator is responsible to establish and maintain a medication log if prescription or nonprescription medication is administered. A log must include the following minimum information:
(i) The name of the medication.
(ii) The name of the child receiving the medication.
(iii) A requirement for refrigeration.
(iv) The amount of medication administered.
(v) The date of administration.
(vi) The time of administration.
(vii) The initials of the staff person who administered the medication.
(viii) Special notes related to problems of administration.
(8) If a special diet is prescribed for a child and if the diet is administered to the child, written instructions and the parents written consent shall be retained in the childs file.
The provisions of this § 3280.133 amended under Articles IX and X of the Human Services Code (62 P.S. § § 901922 and 10011088).
The provisions of this § 3280.133 amended May 23, 2008, effective September 22, 2008, 38 Pa.B. 2437. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (228713) to (228714).
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 3280.221 (relating to requirements specific to school-age programs).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.