§ 5200.42. Medications.
(a) If medication is prescribed or dispensed by the psychiatric outpatient clinic, the requirements of all applicable Federal and State drug statutes and regulations shall be met. In addition, all of the following apply:
(1) Prescriptions shall be written only by a licensed psychiatrist, physician, certified registered nurse practitioner or physician assistant within the practitioners scope of practice.
(2) The term written includes prescriptions that are handwritten or recorded and transmitted by electronic means.
(3) Written prescriptions transmitted by electronic means must be electronically encrypted or transmitted by other technological means designed to protect and prevent access, alteration, manipulation or use by an unauthorized person.
(4) A record of any medication prescribed shall be documented in the individual record.
(b) Written policies and procedures providing for the safe dispensing and administration of medication by the medical and nursing staff shall be in writing and on file. The policy must include all of the following:
(1) Medications shall be dispensed only on an order of a licensed psychiatrist, physician, certified registered nurse practitioner or physician assistant within the practitioners scope of practice.
(2) All medication shall be kept in a secure place.
(3) Each dose of medication administered by the psychiatric outpatient clinic shall be properly recorded in the individuals record.
The provisions of this § 5200.42 amended under section 1021 of the Human Services Code (62 P.S. § 1021); sections 105 and 112 of the Mental Health Procedures Act (50 P.S. § § 7105 and 7112); and section 201(2) of the Mental Health and Intellectual Disability Act of 1966 (50 P.S. § 4201(2)).
The provisions of this § 5200.42 amended October 11, 2019, effective October 12, 2019, 49 Pa.B. 5943. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (368120).
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 5200.42b (relating to clarification of the term writtenstatement of policy).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.