Pennsylvania Code & Bulletin

• No statutes or acts will be found at this website.

The Pennsylvania Code website reflects the Pennsylvania Code changes effective through 54 Pa.B. 1806 (March 30, 2024).

67 Pa. Code § 212.5. Installation and maintenance responsibilities.

§ 212.5. Installation and maintenance responsibilities.

 (a)  Authority to erect traffic-control devices. The delegation of responsibilities for the installation and maintenance of traffic-control devices is in accordance with 75 Pa.C.S. § §  6122 and 6124 (relating to authority to erect traffic-control devices; and erection of traffic-control devices at intersections).

 (b)  Traffic-control devices on State-designated highways.

   (1)  Conventional highways.

     (i)   Local authorities may not revise or remove any traffic-control device installed by the Department or by a contractor for the Department without written approval of the Department.

     (ii)   Cities of the first and second class are responsible for the installation, revision, removal, maintenance and operation of all traffic-control devices on the highways within their city boundaries. Department approval is not required, except as follows:

       (A)   As may be required in an agreement between the city and the Department.

       (B)   Department approval is required for traffic signals if the city does not have municipal traffic engineering certification in accordance with Chapter 205 (relating to municipal traffic engineering certification).

     (iii)   Local authorities other than cities of the first and second class shall obtain written Department approval before installing any new, or revising or removing any existing traffic-control device unless noted otherwise in this chapter or as provided in an agreement with the Department.

     (iv)   Local authorities may install, revise or remove the following devices, and Department approval is not required:

       (A)   Stopping, standing or parking signs (R7 and R8 Series).

       (B)   Street name signs (D3 Series).

       (C)   Crosswalk markings.

       (D)   Parking stall markings, except written Department approval is required prior to creating new angle parking.

       (E)   Curb markings at intersections.

       (F)   Parking meters.

     (v)   Local authorities, or other agencies as indicated, are responsible for installing, maintaining and operating the following traffic-control devices, subject to Department approval prior to any change in the traffic restriction:

       (A)   Traffic signals, and all associated signs and markings included on the Department-approved traffic signal plan.

       (B)   Speed Limit Signs (R2-1) for speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less. The Department will be responsible for all hazardous grade speed limits and bridge speed limits, and for all speed limits at Department rest areas, welcome centers and weigh stations.

       (C)   Stop lines and yield lines at intersections.

       (D)   Pedestrian group signs (R9 Series).

       (E)   Traffic signal group signs (R10 Series).

       (F)   Street Closed (

) to (
) Sign (R11-10).

       (G)   Snowmobile Road (

) Closed to All Other Vehicles Sign (R11-11).

       (H)   All Trucks Must Enter Weigh Station Sign (R13-1-1) and Weigh Station signs (D8 Series) for weigh stations not owned or operated by the Department.

       (I)   Railroad Crossbuck Sign (R15-1), Track Sign (R15-2), Emergency Notification Sign (I-13a), and other signs, gates, or lights that are within the railroad company’s right-of-way, shall be installed by the railroad company.

       (J)   Signal Ahead Sign (W3-3).

       (K)   Entrance and crossing signs (W11 Series), which warn of possible crossings by pedestrians, hikers, cattle, farm equipment, ATVs, fire apparatus, and so forth, except the Deer Crossing Sign (W11-3), Elk Crossing Sign (W11-3A), Horsedrawn Vehicle Sign (W11-11), Left Turns and Cross Traffic Sign (W11-21), Left Turns Sign (W11-21-1) and Watch for Turns Sign (W11-21-2) will be the responsibility of the Department.

       (L)   Children group signs (W15 Series).

       (M)   Parking Area Sign (D4-1).

       (N)   Telephone directional signs (D9-1 series), which shall be installed by the telephone company.

       (O)   Bicycle Route Sign (D11-1).

       (P)   Traffic Signal Speed Sign (I1-1).

       (Q)   Trail group signs (I4 Series).

       (R)   Snowmobile and all terrain vehicles group signs (I12 Series).

       (S)   School zone speed limits, and all school signs (S Series).

       (T)   Pavement markings for mid-block crosswalks.

       (U)   Pavement markings for bicycles such as the bicycle lane symbol.

   (2)  Expressways and freeways. Local authorities may not install, revise or remove traffic-control devices on an expressway or freeway or at an intersection with an expressway or freeway without written Department approval, unless noted otherwise in this chapter.

 (c)  Traffic-control devices on local highways. As provided in 75 Pa.C.S. §  6122, local authorities are responsible for the installation, revision, maintenance, operation and removal of any traffic-control device on highways under their jurisdictions, except local authorities shall obtain written Department approval for the following two items:

   (1)  Installing, revising or removing any school zone speed limit or traffic signal as indicated in 75 Pa.C.S. §  3365(b) (relating to special speed limitations) and §  6122(a)(2), respectively, except Department approval is not required for cities of the first and second class, and other local authorities that have municipal traffic engineering certification in accordance with Chapter 205.

   (2)  Revising or removing a traffic-control device installed in accordance with an agreement between the local authorities and the Department.

 (d)  Traffic-control devices on local highway approaches to intersections with State-designated highways.

   (1)  The Department is responsible for approving the traffic control at intersections of local highways and State-designated highways, including the local highway approaches.

   (2)  At new intersections, the permittee is responsible for installing traffic-control devices on local highway approaches as required by an approved highway occupancy permit issued in accordance with Chapter 441 (relating to access to and occupancy of highways by driveways and local roads).

   (3)  At existing intersections, local authorities or permittees are responsible to install, remove and maintain traffic-control devices as required to control traffic on the local highway approaches, including replacement or repair of missing, damaged, blocked or outdated devices in need of upgrade.

     (i)   Traffic-control devices to be maintained on local roadways include the following, as applicable:

       (A)   Stop Signs (R1-1) and Yield Signs (R1-2).

       (B)   Stop lines and yield lines.

       (C)   No Right Turn Signs (R3-1), No Left Turn Signs (R3-2), No Turns Signs (R3-3), Left Turn Signs (R3-5), Left Lane Must Turn Left Signs (R3-7L), One-Way Signs (R6 Series) and other similar type traffic restriction, prohibitions or lane control signs.

     (ii)   Local authorities or permittees shall obtain written Department approval before implementing any revised traffic-control scheme at the intersection.

   (4)  The Department may take appropriate action if it deems it necessary to carry out the maintenance responsibility of a local authority or permittee because of failure or inability to act in a timely manner.

   (5)  Local authorities are responsible to determine the need for any Stop Ahead Signs (W3-1) and Yield Ahead Signs (W3-2) on local highway approaches to State-designated highways, and for installing and maintaining any warranted signs.

 (e)  Police authority. Police officers may install temporary traffic-control devices on any highway without approval from the Department or the local authorities. These traffic-control devices may be used to close highways during emergencies, to weigh or inspect vehicles, to establish sobriety checkpoints or to conduct other enforcement programs or activities.

No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.

This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.