§ 7.46. General prohibitions.
(a) No disrespect may be shown to the flag of the United States; the flag may not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, state flags and organizational or institutional flags may be dipped as a mark of honor.
(b) The flag may not:
(1) Be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(2) Touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.
(3) Be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(4) Be used as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery. It shall never be festooned, drawn back, nor up in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and red below, shall be used for covering a speakers desk, draping the front of a platform, and for decoration in general.
(5) Be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(6) Be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(7) Have placed upon it nor on a part of it, nor attached to it a mark, insignia, letter, work, figure, design, picture or drawing of any nature.
(8) Be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.
(9) Be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It shall not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs may not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(10) Be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen and members of patriotic organizations.
(c) When a flag is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, it shall be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.